What are other common names?
- Cannabis sativa
- Cannabis sativa L.
- Huo Ma Ren
- Mary Jane
- Medical Marijuana
What is this product used for?
Marijuana is used by some people to help with upset stomach and throwing up that goes with chemo. Others use it to help with glaucoma. Marijuana is used by some people to stimulate their appetite, in HIV/AIDS related weight loss, or to help with other stomach problems. Some people with multiple sclerosis will use this product to help with pain and muscle spasms. Others believe it helps with nerve-related pain.
What are the precautions when taking this product?
- Always check with your doctor before you use a natural product. Some products may not mix well with drugs or other natural products.
- Be sure to tell your doctor that you take this product if you are scheduled for surgery or tests.
- Do not use this product if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant soon. Use birth control you can trust while taking this product.
- Do not use this product if you are breastfeeding.
- This product may cause you to be sleepy. Take extra care if you take other drugs that can cause you to be sleepy, or are driving and doing tasks that you need to be alert for.
- Avoid beer, wine, and mixed drinks (alcohol) while taking this product.
- Take extra care if you are taking drugs to thin your blood. These are drugs like warfarin (Coumadin), heparin, and other anticoagulants.
- Take extra care if you are at a high risk for infection. This includes people who have had a transplant, are on chemo, or have an autoimmune disease.
- Take extra care and check with your doctor if you have:
- Low mood
- Heart problems
- Breathing problems
What should I watch for?
- Upset stomach
- Problems thinking clearly
- Dry eyes and mouth
- Feeling dizzy
When do I need to call the doctor?
- Signs of a very bad reaction. These include wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat. Go to the ER right away.
- Very bad throwing up
- Very bad loose stools
- Very bad headache
- Not able to think clearly or change in thinking
Consumer information use
This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your healthcare provider. Only your healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to provide advice that is right for you. You should not rely on this information in deciding whether or not to use, or accept your healthcare provider’s advice regarding use of, any natural products or similar treatments, therapies, or life-style choices. This information does not endorse any natural products or similar treatments, therapies, or life-style choices as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information. It does NOT include all information about natural products, possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to you. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about your health and treatment options.