Generic name: umeclidinium and vilanterol (ue ME kli DIN ee um and vye LAN ter ol)
Brand name: Anoro Ellipta
Dosage forms: inhalation powder (62.5 mcg-25 mcg/inh)
Drug class: Bronchodilator combinations
Umeclidinium and vilanterol is a combination medicine used to prevent airflow obstruction and reduce flare-ups in adults with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), including bronchitis and emphysema.
umeclidinium and vilanterol is for use only in people with COPD and should not be used to treat asthma.
Umeclidinium and vilanterol may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to umeclidinium or vilanterol, or if you have a severe allergy to milk proteins.
Umeclidinium and vilanterol is not a rescue medicine. It will not work fast enough to treat an bronchospasm attack.
Seek medical attention if your breathing problems do not improve, or if your symptoms get worse quickly.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use umeclidinium and vilanterol if you are allergic to umeclidinium or vilanterol, or if you have a severe allergy to milk proteins.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- heart disease, high blood pressure;
- a seizure;
- liver disease;
- a thyroid disorder; or
- an enlarged prostate or urination problems.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Umeclidinium and vilanterol is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.
How should I use umeclidinium and vilanterol?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Umeclidinium and vilanterol is not a rescue medicine for bronchospasm attacks. Use only fast-acting inhalation medicine for an attack. Seek medical attention if your breathing problems get worse quickly, or if you think your medications are not working as well.
Read and carefully follow any Instructions for Use provided with your medicine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you do not understand these instructions.
Use the medicine at the same time each day, and not more than once in a 24-hour period.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. Keep the inhaler device in the sealed foil tray until ready to start using it.
Throw the inhaler away 6 weeks after opening, or when the dose indicator shows a zero (whichever comes first).
What happens if I miss a dose?
Use the medicine as soon as you can, but skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not use two doses at one time. Do not use more than once in a 24-hour period.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms may include include headache, chest pain, fast heart rate, tremor, and feeling shaky or nervous.
What should I avoid while using umeclidinium and vilanterol?
Do not use a second inhaled bronchodilator that contains formoterol, arformoterol, indacaterol, olodaterol, salmeterol, or vilanterol.
Umeclidinium and vilanterol side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- wheezing, choking, or other breathing problems after using umeclidinium and vilanterol;
- painful or difficult urination, or urinating more often;
- blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or redness, or seeing halos around lights;
- high blood sugar--increased thirst or urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor; or
- low potassium level--leg cramps, constipation, irregular heartbeats, fluttering in your chest, numbness or tingling, muscle weakness or limp feeling.
Common side effects may include:
- stuffy nose, sinus pain, sore throat;
- chest pain, cough;
- diarrhea, constipation;
- muscle spasms; or
- pain in your neck, arms, or legs.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Umeclidinium and vilanterol dosing information
Usual Adult Dose for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease -- Maintenance:
One inhalation (umeclidinium 62.5 mcg-vilanterol 25 mcg) orally once a day
Maximum dose: One inhalation every 24 hours
Use: Long term treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema
What other drugs will affect umeclidinium and vilanterol?
Tell your doctor about all your other medicines, especially:
- antifungal, or antiviral medicine;
- monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, drugs that prolong QT interval;
- medicine to treat depression, anxiety, mood disorders, or mental illness;
- cold or allergy medicine (Benadryl and others);
- medicine to treat Parkinson's disease;
- medicine to treat stomach problems, motion sickness, or irritable bowel syndrome;
- medicine to treat overactive bladder; or
- another bronchodilator medication.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may affect umeclidinium and vilanterol, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible interactions are listed in this medication guide.