Generic Name: rimegepant sulfate (orally disintegrating tablets)
Nurtec ODT (rimegepant sulfate) is a prescription medicine that blocks nerve cell receptors that trigger intense pain.
Nurtec ODT is used for the acute treatment of migraine attacks, with or without aura, in adults.
Nurtec ODT is also used as a preventive treatment of episodic migraine.
Who should not take this medicine?
You should not take Nurtec ODT if you are:
- allergic to rimegepant or any of the other ingredients contained in the orally disintegrating tablets.
See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients.
Before taking Nurtec ODT
Before you take Nurtec ODT, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- have liver problems.
- have kidney problems.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if this medicine will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if this medicine passes into your breast milk.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
How should I take Nurtec ODT?
- Take Nurtec ODT exactly how your healthcare provider tells you to.
- Take this medicine once a day as needed. You should not take more than 1 tablet in 24 hours.
- It is not known if it is safe to take this medicine for more than 15 migraine headaches in 30 days.
- To take Nurtec ODT:
- Use dry hands when opening the blister pack.
- Peel back the foil covering of one blister and gently remove the orally disintegrating tablet. Do not push the orally disintegrating tablet through the foil.
- As soon as the blister is opened, remove the orally disintegrating tablet and place on or under the tongue.
- the orally disintegrating tablet will dissolve and no drink or water is needed.
- Take the medicine immediately after opening the blister pack. Do not store the orally disintegrating tablets outside the blister pack for future use.
- If you take too much Nurtec ODT, go to the nearest emergency room right away.
Nurtec ODT side effects
Nurtec ODT may cause serious side effects including:
- Allergic reactions. Allergic reactions, including trouble breathing and rash, can happen after you take Nurtec ODT. This can happen days after you take this medicine. Call your healthcare provider or get emergency help right away if you have any of the following symptoms, which may be part of an allergic reaction:
- Swelling of the face, mouth, tongue, or throat
- Trouble breathing
The most common side effect is:
This is not the only possible side effect. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800 FDA-1088.
How should I store Nurtec ODT?
- Store in the blister package that it comes in.
- Store at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and pets.
General information about safe and effective use
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use this medicine for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give it to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them. You can ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider for information that is written for health professionals.
What are the ingredients in Nurtec ODT?
Active ingredient: rimegepant
Inactive ingredients: benzyl alcohol, eucalyptol, gelatin, limonene, mannitol, menthol, menthone, menthyl acetate, sucralose, and vanillin